I’m not going to mince my words. Photographing a bowl of porridge so that it looks like a thing of beauty is nigh on impossible. Add to that, topping it with some shredded coconut, which turned out to have more than a passing resemblance to grated cheese and I’m wondering if it could get any worse?
Well, the thing is that this Creamy Coconut Porridge does really, truly (Scout’s honour) taste seriously good and on this occasion when the pictures are not perhaps painting a thousand extremely positive words, you’re just going to have to trust me. Let’s face it, porridge of any type, is never going to be a looker, but where it fails on the aesthetics, it delivers in spadefuls on comfort, indulgence, nourishment and keeping those annoying mid-morning hunger pangs away ….
And the secret to this Creamy Coconut Porridge is found in a carton – a carton of Rude Heath Coconut Drink, which I picked up last weekend from the Ripe Market (which, thanks heavens, has now moved indoors for the summer swelter). It’s delicious straight from the carton, or used in smoothies but I loved the subtle (and ever so slightly tropical) dose of coconut flavour that my porridge was treated to. And as a bonus, the coconut’s good oils give it a creamy texture while giving you all kinds of nutrient goodies. If porridge can ever be fashionable and glamorous, then this is it.
I’m sure that ‘other brands are available’ outside of Dubai, but be sure to get the ‘drinking’ kind of coconut milk and not the cooking kind that you’ll find in a tin and use in a curry.
Now I’ve told you before that I love my toppings in the morning. These plums would be just the job piled on the top of a steaming bowl of Creamy Coconut Porridge, but I also love this Spiced Strawberry Sauce from My New Roots. Sliced bananas would be a totally tropical taste but today I opted for blueberries – just because.
And why will you be joining me in the ‘I love Creamy Coconut Porridge’ Fan Club?
- It’s easier than an easy thing. Measure out the oats into a bowl, add the coconut drink. Stick it in the microwave for 5 minutes on HIGH. Done. (Note – I use Quick Cook Porridge Oats in the morning because I know I won’t have time for the traditional variety. Also I opt for cooking in the microwave because then I can just leave it to do its thing. And the washing up is easier. Do whatever works for you though.) There are plenty more involved ways to create a coconut porridge, but in the morning I’m not sure that any degree of faff is do-able.
- Ideal if you’re trying to avoid/exclude dairy. And even if you’re not, it’s a bonus break from the norm.
- Tastes like a treat but you can enjoy it knowing that even at this early breakfast hour you are already being quite the virtuous one. And it’s not even the weekend.
So, start the day with that Secret Smug Feeling. It’s the only way.
- 1 x ¹/3 cup measure of Quick Cook rolled oats - if you prefer to use traditional oats, follow the cooking instructions on the packet replacing the liquid with coconut milk
- 3 x ¹/3 cup measures of coconut milk - the drinking variety (I used Rude Health Coconut Milk) + a little extra for topping the cooked porridge
- A small handful of shredded coconut
- A small handful of blueberries
- A drizzle of maple syrup or a sprinkle of brown sugar
- Measure the oats and coconut milk into a large microwaveable bowl.
- Cook in the microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes - you may need to adjust the timing of this to suit the power of your microwave. Mine is 800W but is the best part of 20 years old, so perhaps not the fastest. The porridge will be creamy and thickened when it is ready.
- Once the porridge is cooked, tip it into a serving bowl and add as much extra coconut milk as you need, to create the consistency that you like.
- Now top with the toppings and enjoy.