So you have a freezer – right? And there’s always a packet or two of your favourite sausages in there – right? OK – now I know we’re on the same page ….
For people with busy lives (especially those with families), sausages are often a mid-week dinner saviour and it’s a relief when you find that packet nestled behind the bag of frozen peas. Sure, there’s a time for freshly cooked, hot sizzling sausages – I like them with Easy Oven Chips and those ubiquitous frozen peas – but there’s also plenty of occasions when I want to use the sausages IN a dish, and then I don’t need them to be fresh from the grill. So what if those same sausages could rank even higher on the ‘couldn’t live without you’ ingredients top ten?
Here’s how … The next time you buy a packet of sausages, treat yourself to an extra pack (or two) and cook the extras for the freezer. Ta-dah – ready cooked sausages at your finger tips.
Now this quick tip is about making good use of your time (as well as your freezer), so how can you best do that?
- If you’re cooking sausages for dinner anyway, do the extras at the same time.
- If you’ve bought sausages just for the freezer, then the secret here is to cook them STRAIGHT AWAY. As soon as the packet of uncooked sausages gets put away in the fridge, life takes over and all of a sudden you’re too busy to turn on the grill. Why not get it done while you’re putting the rest of the shopping away?
- This is also a good job to do while you are busy in the kitchen doing other things. That way you can check on them regularly without feeling like you’re tied to the oven.
Once the sausages are cooked, allow them to cool completely and package them up into convenient portions for the freezer. I tend to leave them whole (makes them more versatile that way) and I bag them up 1 packet per bag. Label them of course and stash them away in the freezer.
Now the next time that you’re dashing around in the morning, trying to work out what dinner will be in the evening you can grab a bag of sausages and know that within a few hours they will be fully defrosted and ready to go into your favourite dish. No need to turn the grill on. No need to set the smoke alarm off. No need to be hanging around close to the oven. Bingo.
So what could you create with your ready cooked sausages?
- These Spicy Sausages with Beans are a great speedy supper or a perfect solution for a lunch on the go –
- How about this Sausage and Puy Lentil Pot? A tasty dinner for all the family and those leftovers are sensational.
- Or why not try this Sausage and Bean Hotpot? It always goes down well around here.
- Try slicing up your cooked sausages and use them to make a pasta dish go a little further.
- Or use them as a sandwich filling for packed lunches … add a dollop of chutney too for a delicious combination.
What would you do with yours?