My lovely husband and children bought me a slow cooker for Mother’s Day – probably 10 years ago. A gift of any kitchen appliance works well for me and I had been pondering about this one for a while.
That Mother’s Day was a memorable one for a number of reasons …
- Steve had bought all the ingredients to have dinner from the slow cooker ready for us on our return from a day out. A perfect Mother’s Day treat.
- We drove to the coast for a bracing walk on a wide, empty beach but sadly the English weather misbehaved and by the time we reached our destination the colour of the sky did not bode well.
- Fast forward a couple of hours – we are back at the car, all as wet, wet, wet as it’s possible to be having been pelted with hailstones and thrown around the beach by torrential wind and rain.
- It wasn’t the mood board we had hoped for but, hey, it was a memorable day – especially the bit where me and the children stripped down to our pants for the journey home – when your children are 3 and 5 it is the funniest thing in the world ever when your Mummy does it too!
- Dinner from the slow cooker when we arrived back home was oh so welcome. It was not a ‘blinder’ of a meal and I have to come clean and admit that I have had a limited number of ‘blinders’ courtesy of the slow cooker over the years. It’s always no fuss – but it’s only rarely gorgeous….
…. Until, that is, I discovered making chicken stock in the slow cooker….