Chocolate and Banana Bread
The bananas keep it moist and the dark chocolate chips (milk chocolate would be too sweet) give it a magical gooey quality.
Tweaked from the Banana Bread recipe at Simply Recipes
- Author: Rachel Page
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Oven baked
- Cuisine: Western
- 3 ripe bananas
- 75g (1/3 cup) melted butter
- 110g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 190g (1½ cups) plain flour
- 175g (1 cup) dark chocolate chips
- a little demerera sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C /160°C Fan/350°F(gas mark 4).
- Line a 10cm x 20cm (4" x 8") loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Mash the bananas with a fork in a large bowl and stir in the melted butter. Now add the sugar, bicarbonate of soda and the salt and mix well.
- Next beat in the egg and the vanilla extract, followed by the flour and the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle a little demerara sugar over the top of the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, but check after 40 minutes using a cake tester.
- Let the cake cool completely in the tin before cutting.
Keywords: cosy, sharing, loaf tin