Freeze-Ahead Roast Potatoes
Freeze-ahead roast potatoes taste (and look) better than fresh ones. Prepare to be converted ...
Tweaked from BBC Good Food
- Author: Rachel Page
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven roasted
- Cuisine: Christmas
- 2.5kg Maris Piper potatoes, or similar
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 5 tbsp goose fat, or sunflower oil
- Peel the potatoes then cut into large pieces.
- Bring a large pan of slightly salted water to the boil and tip the prepared potatoes into it. Bring back to the boil and cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain really well and then return to the pan, sprinkling over the flour.
- Place a lid on the pan and give it a couple of really good shakes to distribute the flour and to rough up the edges a bit.
- At this stage the potatoes can be frozen on a couple of baking trays lined with baking parchment. Place the trays in the freezer and when the potatoes are solid, tip them into a large plastic bag to store in the freezer until you need them. I wouldn't freeze them beyond 1 month.
- When you are ready to roast the potatoes, heat the oven to 190ºC/170ºC Fan/375ºF (gas mark 5).
- Spoon the goose fat onto a large roasting tray and leave to heat on the top shelf of the oven for 5 minutes. Now carefully tip the frozen potatoes into the hot fat. There is no need to toss them around in the fat at this stage.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then turn up the oven to 220ºC/200ºC Fan/425ºF (gas mark 7). At this stage, carefully turn the potatoes around in the hot fat to ensure that they are all covered in oil and are evenly browning.
- Now roast for another 30 minutes, turning once. The potatoes should be golden and crisp when they are ready.
Keywords: festive, family, make ahead