Homemade Pesto with Spaghetti
Fresh, homemade pesto tossed through spaghetti and finished with 'straight from the frying pan' lardons. Happiness on a plate.
- Author: Rachel Page
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Blender +hob
- Cuisine: Italian
For the pesto -
- 2 large bunches of basil, (my bunch was 110g (4oz)) - just use the leaves
- 110g (4oz) pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 110g (4oz) Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 150ml (5floz) olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the pasta -
- 500g (1lb) spaghetti, I used Bavette
- 150g (5oz) lardons
- Add all the pesto ingredients to a blender or food processor and blitz until it is the right consistency - you still want to see a little texture in it. Taste and adjust the seasoning, also adding more lemon if it needs it.
- Boil a large pan of salted water for the pasta. Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions. It will be altogether lovelier if the spaghetti still retains a little bite i.e. 'al dente'.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, tip the lardons into a small saucepan and fry until they are crispy, golden and smelling delicious.
- Drain the cooked spaghetti, reserving a couple of cups of the starchy pasta water. Stir some pesto through the cooked spaghetti, adjusting the quantity depending on how you like it and add a couple of splashes of the reserved pasta water to help the pesto to coat the pasta.
- Now use a large fork, around which to twirl a portion of spaghetti and place it on a plate. Sprinkle with the cooked lardons and enjoy immediately.
Keywords: homemade, family, comfort