The tortellini is combined with juicy tomatoes, white beans and artichoke hearts and tossed with a light vinaigrette dressing. A garnish of basil and Parmesan is the final flourish.
Tweaked slightly from a recipe on the Love and Lemons blog.
- Author: Rachel Page
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
For the salad -
- 500g (9oz) fresh tortellini, from the chilled section at the supermarket
- 300g (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400g (13oz) can/jar artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 140g (1 cup) white beans from a can, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced or a heaped tablespoon of Lime Pickled Red Onions
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach or other salad leaves
For the dressing -
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
To garnish -
- a few torn basil leaves
- a little shaved Parmesan (optional)
- a sprinkling of chilli flakes (optional)
- Cook the Tortellini according to the packet instructions - mine had a cooking time of 2 minutes but I took it out to drain a little earlier so that it wasn't at all mushy. I also chilled it quickly under the cold tap so that it didn't carry on cooking.
- Next, make the vinaigrette dressing - combine all the ingredients in a lidded jar and shake it up. Taste for balance and seasoning and then it's ready to go.
- Prepare the vegetables - slice the tomatoes, cut up the artichokes, open a can of white beans and drain and rinse them, slice up the red onion (or check in the fridge that you have some Lime Pickled Red Onions ready to use), grab a couple of handfuls of fresh baby spinach or rocket,.
- Now when you're ready to put everything together, mix the tortellini and the vegetables in a large bowl and toss through some of the dressing.
- Garnish with some torn basil, a few shavings of Parmesan and a few chilli flakes (if you like it spicy)
Keywords: light, summer, picnic, healthy