Vegan Green Veggie Grain Bowls
This is the dinner that I’ll be serving the next time I hear those fateful words, ‘Did I tell you that I’m vegan?’ But it’s also a great mid-week dinner that will leave you feeling good as well as kitchen smart.
- Author: Rachel Page
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Healthy
- Cuisine: Salad
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- the juice of 1 or 2 limes (depending on how juicy they are)
- 250g Quick Cook Spelt or other wholegrains, cooked according to the packet instructions
- 2 heads of broccoli (approx 375g (12 oz) each), divided into florets
- a drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 or 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 avocado, peeled and roughly chopped
- a handful of spicy pumpkin seeds, or other spicy seeds or chopped nuts
- a few coriander leaves
For the dressing -
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fine sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- dash of sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
- Combine the sliced red onion with the lime juice in a bowl and toss until well mixed. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes so that the flavour of the onion mellows and the colour intensifies.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/425°F (gas mark 7).
- Cover a baking tray with foil (makes for easier washing up) and lay out the broccoli in a single layer. Drizzle with plenty of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the broccoli in the oven for 10-12 minutes or only a little browned.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a secure lid and shake until well combined.
- Toss the broccoli in some of the dressing and put it to one side.
- Now divide the grains between the bowls and layer up the spinach, broccoli and avocado on top. Drizzle over more dressing and top with the spicy pumpkin seeds, coriander and a few pickled red onion slices.
Keywords: healthy, vegan, grains, midweek