So, do you remember that we are starting to pull together a repertoire of side dishes because with that kind of armoury, we can start to really have some fun. It’s early days and we’re only on #2 but we’re on the road now so that’s good.
#1 was Moroccan Couscous and now let me introduce #2 – Sweetcorn and Lime Salsa …
You know how most of the time when something is too good to be true – it is … well here’s an exception. This dish is simple, simple, simple but with sensational flavours and textures. To say that this dish has 5 ingredients makes it sound more involved than it actually is – for this bowl of loveliness is simply raw sweetcorn (sliced off the cob) and dressed with lime juice, a little olive oil and some finely chopped parsley. The sweetness of the corn and the sharp, acidity of the lime is a match made in heaven and the whole look and feel of the dish has a surprisingly funky vibe.
I came across the recipe as a topping for the most beautiful soup over at Green Kitchen Stories. The soup/topping combination is to die for but I couldn’t leave the topping alone and found myself eating it on its own …. and loving it as an accompaniment to everything else that I was cooking.
And here’s why I’m convinced that you are going to fall in love with this dish too –
- You will have this made in 10 minutes … tops. No cooking required.
- This is fresh, natural, beautiful ingredients at their best.
- It looks gloriously pretty. That dazzling yellow will brighten up any spread.
- You can prepare this ahead of time and have it sitting pretty in the fridge until you need it.
- I love it with fish, vegetable tarts, roasted chicken and it’s yummy with burgers. It would make a great addition to a picnic too.
Another one for your side dishes repertoire? I hope so …
- 4 fresh corn cobs, all husks removed
- a small bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- juice of 3-4 limes - depending on the size and juiciness of the fruits you may not need them all, so perhaps squeeze them as you add the juice to avoid wastage.
- a little olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and place in a bowl.
- Now add the parsley, a drizzle of olive oil, a little of the lime juice and some salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the lime juice, olive oil and seasoning until the flavours are right for you.