Sometimes inspiration for dinner is about coming up with the whole thing - you know, the main event - like a tasty pasta dish or a one-pot marvel or a slow cooker spectacle (if such things exist?!) But there are also times when you've already got a place to start - it may be some sausages or a fillet of fish or a steak ready to grill - and you need a couple of easy side dishes to turn what you have into dinner.
This Sweet Potato Mash is one of my favourites and it has SO much going for it. Obviously, there's a lot of sweetness coming from the potato, but I like to balance it with the floral notes of the rosemary and a bit of a kick from the chilli and the garlic too.
And here's why I think this Sweet Potato Mash might be your new favourite side dish
- It's a real looker - That orange with the little specks of red from the chilli and a smattering of green from the rosemary. Gorgeous.
- It's a taste sensation - Need I say more.
- It's super easy to make - Peel the potatoes and boil them until they're soft and mashable. Then in a separate small pan gently toast the garlic, chilli and rosemary in some olive oil and just combine the two, mashing everything together.
- It looks fancy enough for company - Do you agree?
- It freezes like a dream - I'm always very unconvinced about frozen mashed potato (that's the regular kind), as it seems to go watery and a bit grey. But this Sweet Potato Mash handles the freezing really well. In my previous life in the UK where I ran a catering business, this was one of the most popular side dishes in our range of frozen ready meals. Can't say fairer than that.
- It reheats beautifully too.
- AND it's super healthy - Plenty of vitamins from the sweet potato and a good dose of healthy fats from the olive oil.
As I'm looking at these photos, I'm also thinking that there is a Christmassy feel to this Sweet Potato Mash. But that's a conversation for another day ...Print