There's a phrase that gets banded around a fair amount in our house - "it's not a looker". It tends to be made with reference to food and is a polite way of saying, "That looks pretty grim but it tastes lovely." And it's almost always followed by, " ... like Mushroom Soup. We haven't had that for AGES. Can you make it again?"
So I would have 3 observations on this -
- Fair cop. Mushroom Soup is not a looker. It's the grey. Even with a swirl of cream and a sprinkle of parsley, it's challenging for sure.
- Fair cop. I haven't made Mushroom Soup for ages. Note to self.
- Fair cop. This Chicken and Puy Lentil Soup is also not a looker, but just like its mushroomy cousin, it's truly delicious.
It's officially winter here in Dubai. The evening temperatures have dropped below 30°C, there's no longer the need to have 3 showers a day and yesterday #2 teenage son optimistically got out his woolly bobble cap to wear to go to morning swim training. He did put his nose out of the front door and swiftly put it back in the drawer though - it's 'cooler' for sure but we've not reached 'cold' yet.
But in my world, 'cooler' is more than an adequate excuse to knock up a soup and come to think of it, I'll find any excuse no matter what the outside temperature is reading.
The combination of chicken and lentils just screams COSY and that's what this soup delivers in ladlefuls. It's packed with vegetables (the kind that you'll often find looking a bit unloved at the bottom of the fridge) and it's also a great way to use some of your mounting mountain of chicken stock from the freezer. Maybe that should really read a 'chicken stock lake', but somehow frozen stock = a mountain. Now I'm wittering ...
So here's a quick run down of why I think you'll be cosying up with this soup too -
- It's yummy.
- It's super easy to make + you could make it even easier by using the shredded chicken from a ready cooked deli chicken instead.
- It's healthy - veggies, chicken and lentils ... you can't go wrong with that.
- It's great value.
- It will keep you feeling full for ages - that'll be the lentils.
- It freezes like a dream and reheats beautifully.
Go on - celebrate winter with the full on cosiness of a bowl of Chicken and Puy Lentil Soup. Woolly bobble hats probably not required. Yet ...Print