I always have a pile of recipes and food ideas that I've gathered ready to try out. It used to be a physical pile of paper, jammed inside an old notebook but with the passing of time, it has morphed into a 'virtual pile' organised in my online world so that I can find things (hopefully) and actually get around to making the recipe (if all the stars align).
This Crunchy Red Cabbage and Grape Salad first came to my attention in 2015 and I'm ashamed to say that it has taken me 7 years to give it a try. What I would have realised, if I'd looked a little closer was that it is beautifully easy and delivers a huge amount of bang for its buck. What on earth took me so long? It's a recipe from Green Kitchen Stories and as always, they do a great job of creating (and photographing) vegetarian dishes that taste great, look wonderful on the plate and make you feel full of the joys of Spring or Summer or whatever season you may find yourself in.
Let me tell you more about this Crunchy Red Cabbage and Grape Salad
This is a fresh and simple side dish of finely sliced red cabbage, with a touch of red onion and a few red grapes for sweetness. It's lightly dressed with a slightly sweetened lemon and olive oil dressing and garnished with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
6 things that I think you'll love about this salad
- It's delightfully easy - slice, slice, slice, mix, dress. And there's no need to be too precious about exact quantities for the salad; you can adjust the proportions to suit what you have in the fridge and what you like.
- It's a real stunner - the purple is great but the pop of green from the parsley is next level.
- It's really refreshing - which is perhaps an odd way to describe a salad. This means it pairs beautifully with really rich dishes where you need something to cut through any heaviness.
- It's versatile - the first time I tried it out, I served it with a curry. The next time we had it as part of a burrito bowl (chicken, rice, guacamole, roasted tomatoes, caramelised onions, cucumber and yoghurt dressing). I actually think it would be a winner as part of a Christmas buffet and I'm even considering having it replace my traditional Braised Red Cabbage with Apples.
- It's ideal for preparing ahead of time - do all the slicing, make the dressing and combine just before you're ready to serve.
- It scales up and down very easily - and we all love that in a salad…
Apart from anything else, I'm always in the market for more ways to use up red cabbage (why are they not sold in smaller pieces?) and an excuse to buy a punnet of grapes. I'm a fan ♡Print
Crunchy Red Cabbage and Grape Salad
This Crunchy Red Cabbage and Grape Salad is a fresh and simple side dish lightly dressed with a slightly sweetened lemon & olive oil dressing.
The recipe is slightly tweaked from Green Kitchen Stories.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Side Salad
For the salad -
- ½ a medium-sized red cabbage (approx 300g/11oz), very finely sliced
- ½ small red onion (approx 50g/2oz), very finely sliced
- 20 red grapes (my grapes were tiny so I used more), cut in half
- a small handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the dressing -
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ to 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid or in a small bowl. Shake or mix to combine.
- Toss the salad with some of the dressing just before serving.
- You may not use all of the dressing, depending on how lightly dressed you like your salads. Any leftover dressing will keep well in the fridge and will be delicious on a regular green salad.
Keywords: fresh, light, healthy