It's smoothie time.
After making the Coconut and Lime Syrup Muffins the other day, I had a couple of 'zested but still intact' limes winking at me to be used from the fridge. A dash of lime juice felt like the perfect zing to add to a morning smoothie and using it to balance the syrupy sweetness of mango was sounding good. Really good.
What I've learned about making this Mango and Lime Smoothie
- Use whatever milk you are enjoying right now (dairy, soy, almond, cashew, coconut ...)
- If, like me, you struggle to keep full on a smoothie until lunch, throw a couple of tablespoons of protein powder in there too (pick it up from your health food store). That'll do the trick.
- If I have an frozen egg whites, I might add that instead of the protein powder, just like I did here in this Raspberry Protein Shake.
- Sometimes I buy a fresh mango and when I cut it up, the texture isn't what I'd hoped for. I will try to salvage it by cutting it up and then freezing it ready for something like this smoothie.
A smoothie also provided the perfect opportunity to test drive these cuter than cute jars that I picked up in Dublin at Tiger, a design-led spin on the 'pound shop' idea, where it was opening day for their new shop. We can all sleep easy knowing that Tiger hasn't made it to Dubai yet. That would be dangerous.
So start the day the zesty way with this Mango and Lime Smoothie - but beware the brain freeze ...!Print
Mango and Lime Smoothie
A dash of lime is the perfect zing to add to a morning smoothie and using it to balance the syrupy sweetness of a mango is SO good.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Healthy
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 small cheeks of frozen mango - about 200g / 7oz
- 2 tablespoons protein powder (optional)
- Juice of ½ large (or 1 small) lime
- 2 cups milk (dairy, soy, nut, coconut - you choose)
- Throw everything into a high speed blender and blitz until smooth.
- Add a little more milk if you'd like your smoothie to be less thick.
I have thrown a couple of tablespoons of protein powder in here to keep me fuller for longer. You'll find a big selection in your local health food store. At the moment I'm using a quinoa powder, but I also sometimes use whey powder. The smoothie will work fine if you leave it out too.
Keywords: smoothie, healthy, quick, breakfast