You know those days when you're going to be home late. Everyone will be hungry and you will have run out of energy and enthusiasm for cooking much earlier in the day. Slow cookers were invented for such days but you'll remember that I have a long-running love-hate relationship with mine. I do keep trying to find those gem-like dishes that will fill my heart with joy - but this process is long and tedious and to date, I have had very, very little success. But there is one dish that gets a thumbs up from me and the whole family. It's a looker (a rarity with slow cooker dishes I must admit) and tastes even better. It can handle being left to cook on LOW for 6-10 hours so there's plenty of scope for it to work perfectly with your schedule. It's a Red Lentil & Bacon Soup and I think you're going to love it.
I first came across this recipe in a funny little paperback book called Slow Cooking Properly Explained. It's a book with no photos ... not even any colour in fact - but with minimal tweaking, this recipe shines bright amongst other slow cooker recipes.
Sometimes I cook this overnight so that in the morning I can ladle it straight into flasks for packed lunches. Other times we'll have it for a family dinner with a loaf (or two) of crusty bread.
What is so great about this Red Lentil and Bacon Slow Cooker Soup?
- It is exceptionally tasty - I think it's the addition of the bacon, to be honest, but the onion is a big player too.
- The lentils make it very filling so it's perfect for hungry appetites.
- The slow cooker brings out the best in this soup; the lentils break down a little bit and the vegetables are at their most delicious when they've been cooking slowly for a long time.
- It can handle being left to cook on LOW for 6-10 hours so there's plenty of scope for it to work perfectly with your schedule.
- Even without the addition of the parsley, this is a good looking slow cooker dish. And that, my friend, is a rarity.
So there you have it, Red Lentil and Bacon Slow Cooker Soup - another weapon in your secret armoury on your quest for gorgeous food - no fuss.Print