Back in January, I posted a recipe for this Lemon Layer Cake, which proved to be the perfect celebration cake for #1 teenage son's 16th birthday. I know, I know what you're thinking - how could I possibly be old enough to have a 16 year old, but there you have it ...
What surprised me at the time was that taking cakes into school when you're 16 is still a thing - but maybe there's always room in your life for good cake? So, I made the Lemon Layer Cake for at home and a batch of these Lemon Butterfly Cakes for #1 teenage son to take into school. These cute little cakes are seriously pretty. It's a cake with a lightness of texture and a zesty flavour. Not too lemony as to be, 'CRIKEY', but lemony enough to be fresh and not sickly. And they make you look terribly clever too, even though they are actually easy peasy.
And I asked you whether you'd also like the recipe for these mini delights and there was a resounding, 'Yes, please' - so here we go ... one recipe for Lemon Butterfly Cakes coming up.
Sometimes a big cake is what's required to create a sense of occasion and/or to accommodate a hefty number of candles, but there are also times when small is good.
Here are some of the reasons why I might opt for making these Lemon Butterfly Cakes rather than a large cake -
- Quicker to bake - 15 minutes ... tops, in the oven. Bish, bash, bosh.
- Loads easier to serve - no knife required, no cutting, no need for a plate, no need for forks, less mess.
- Easier for little mouths to manage - and some would say big mouths too.
- Less troublesome to transport - even just finding a cake box big enough for a large cake can be awkward.
- Portion control is a breeze - you need to feed 20 people, so you make 20 cupcakes. Done. Unless anyone sneaks a second one.
- They just look so cute - and you can match the paper case to the occasion. Or to your cake. Or to your plates. Or to your frock. Or maybe your wallpaper...
Cupcakes never need an occasion, so what are you waiting for? Grab those paper cases and get baking these delicious Lemon Butterfly Cakes.